23 ene 2003

William Bronk might be the odd man out on my list. But he's the odd man out in American poetry as well. I got into him because of Sorrentino, possibly. I followed him closely from "Life Supports" until his recent death. I know a lot of people don't get Bronk, don't understand the enthusiasm he evokes in his readers. For me it is a meditative poetry, seemingly unremarkable a good deal of the time, but with powerful cumulative effect. I think he published too many poems that basically say the same thing. He is not a high percentage poet in this respect. Yet I enjoy the process of sorting through his complete works to find the really powerful poems. "Words change shape and come to have / other meanings in other languages. / How do we know the unspoken stays the same?" He is a religious poet, but without religiosity or viscosity.

No hay comentarios: