19 may 2011

Flamenco Sketches

I've been listening to hours of flamenco podcasts. I also have about 15 hours of flamenco in my itunes library. Here's what I like the most so far. This would be a good introduction to flamenco if you want to know a little more.

From the classic period, La Niña de los Peines and Antonio Mairena.

I have many hours of Camarón de la Isla. "Soy caminante" is an accessible album. Anything with Paco de Lucía or Tomatito accompanying him on guitar is necessary listening. If you don't like Flamenco singing (many people don't) you could just stick to Paco de Lucía.

Carmen Linares, "Antología de la mujer en el cante." This is a two-disk set that anthologizes great flamenco songs sung previously by others. It is a kind of "reference book." Excellent guitar work by a major guitarists. By Linares, also, "Raíces y alas," poems by Juan Ramón Jiménez sung by Linares.

I have recordings by Enrique Morente because he's sung a lot of Lorca. Don't tell anyone, but I don't really like him that much. You might like him more than I do, so don't take my word for it.

Miguel Poveda has made a name for himself in recent years. Start with "Suena Flamenco," my favorite by him.

The free podcast "Nuestro Flamenco" is superb. If you don't speak Spanish and get impatient you can skip the interviews. "Duendeando" has more music and less talking, though the music isn't quite as consistently good. Also free. "Por palos y quejíos" is a more pop-oriented Flamenco podcast, if you like Spanish pop with a slight Flamenco tinge.

2 comentarios:

Vance Maverick dijo...

Hey, thanks. I see Amazon has the Linares listed as "La Mejor En El Canto" (though the proper subtitle is visible in the cover image).

Jonathan dijo...

I wrote a review just now correcting the title to "La mujer en el cante." The difference between canto and cante is a subtle one. The difference between mujer (woman) and "mejor" (better), no so subtle.