26 abr 2011

Jarrett / Shostakovich

I have been enjoying Alexander Melnikov's versions of Shoskatovich's opus 87 (Preludes and Fugues) for most of 2011. Today I'm checking out a different version, by jazz pianist Keith Jarrett. Since my ears are conditioned by my first approach, I am finding Jarrett's rendering richly divergent and gaining a deeper interpretation of the work itself. He is heavier and darker than Melnikov, with more contrasting tempos and a more legato feel in most places. He sounds like himself, but he does not "jazz up" the music either.

Jarrett has recorded baroque music on the harpsichord too. He's totally legit as a classical player, not just a novelty. I wouldn't mind owning five or six versions of different pianists playing this set of 24 preludes and fugues.

1 comentario:

Andrew Shields dijo...

Jarrett also did a CD of improvisations on harpsichord that is really good (I don't remember the title, but it was in the 80s, I think).