20 nov 2010

I had always had conserved a fond memory of the reading that Michael Caine did of Cumming's "somewhere i have never travelled" in Woody Allen's "Hannah and Her Sisters." So I watched the film again on netflix online. The poem does appear there, but Caine does not read it aloud: the Barbara Hershey character does instead, and only the last few lines of it at that. I still think they cut out that part on the netflix streaming version, that it must be in the film. I can hear Caine's voice reading it in my memory, with his very distinctive accent and intonation.

But this is probably just a retrospective hallucination: a hallucination of memory.

4 comentarios:

Elisa dijo...

I seem to remember him reading it too, or one of the cummings poems anyway -- could it be a voiceover, Caine's internal voice, when he finds it in the bookstore?

Matt Walker dijo...

i think i had this exact same hallucination!

Jonathan dijo...

She's reading it alone, in her room, right after the MC character gives her the book, and then we see his face, in his own apt., with her words echoing in his mind. This creates the memory illusion that he is reading it in his own voice, because we see his face while hearing her words.

It is right after the bookstore scene.

Elisa dijo...

Yeah, I watched the scene again on YouTube. So weird.