12 oct 2008

(125)

*Olvido García Valdés. Esa polilla que delante de mí revolotea. 2008. 444 pp.

This second one percent of the 9000 books is taking me a bit longer, especially when I read Collected Works like this one, with a preface by our friend the Uruguayan poet Eduardo Milán. I got this from Spain a few days ago--a copy signed and dedicated to me by the author, which was nice. Finally I can see her development in sequential order--some of the earlier books I didn't know as well if at all.

This poet is all about subtlety and nuance. "The moth that flies about before me." I am sensing an article coming on...

***

9,000 books. So 1% is 90, 10% is 900, etc... I define a book as anything between two covers, so a chapbook and a collected works both count the same. Most of my reading is in the standard 70 pp. books. Two books are not mentioned by name in the series, because they didn't register with me, but they still count toward the total. When I finish I will write the book about it, like the guy who read the encyclopedia or the woman who read the OED cover to cover.

5 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

I NEED that book. Is it published by Galaxia Gutenberg? Has it been released already?

I only discovered her six years ago and I had to give up trying to find anything before caza nocturna (and I love what I've read from ella, los pájaros in several anthologies). I might meet her this Spring and I can't wait. In my opinion, she's the best Spanish poet born in the 50s (and I like Riechmann a lot).

Jonathan dijo...

Yeah, it's from Galaxia G. It should be out already.

Anónimo dijo...

Thanks, I didn't know about it. Eugenio Montejo and she are coming to my school in Spring (there's a chance Miguel Casado does too) and I can't wait.

Jonathan dijo...

Sorry, Carlos. Montejo died this past summer I think...

Anónimo dijo...

I was confused: it is Cadenas, not Montejo, who is coming.