14 ene 2006

That Creeley poem "After Lorca" ... is not "after" any Lorca poem I recognize. It strikes me as very un-Lorca-like in any case. Yet there has got to be some identifiable source, if we believe his biographer Faas.

***

I downloaded "Tenor Madness" so Julia could practice her trumpet along with it. I had forgotten that that one has Rollins together with Coltrane, in sort of a dueling tenor thing, so I had a weird experience of listening to what I assumed was Rollins but playing typical "Coltranisms," phrases really very easily identifiable as carbon-copies of phrases he (Coltrane) plays on other records. I caught myself saying, "boy, I didn't realize Rolliins has absorbed THAT much Coltrane influence." But, of course, I felt very stupid when I heard the real Rollins start his own solo, with his own trademark phrasing. Of course, that's why it's called "Tenor Madness." Hearing the two of them trade phrases at the end is truly extraordinary.

1 comentario:

Common Sense dijo...

Perhaps it has ties with the way Spicer used Lorca: guess which one is mine--a return to the grave. A great book by Spicer (After Lorca)--"The dead are notoriously hard to satisfy."