12 mar 2005

My art criticism dream: I was leafing through an art catalogue with someone else, identity unknown. The prints were of very derivative paintings, fake Miró's with typical bird and star motifs, with that typical Miró blue sky color. I was loudly complaining about how bad and derivative these paintings were. The last ones we were looking at had Mickey Mouse figures, very badly drawn, against this same Miró-like background. I started in rather pedantically and angrily about how Joe Brainard's "Nancy" drawings were much superior. Then I went on to Warhol. It was clear the other person was not a Warhol fan. "Even Andy Warhol draws much better!" I shouted. To clarify my point I went on: "I said EVEN Warhol..." I had the image of Warhol's Mao series in my mind. By this time I was with the other person in some kind of cafeteria line, and the identity of the person was a little clearer. Waking up I assumed that it was Marjorie Perloff.

No hay comentarios: