13 oct 2003

1

I gave Chapman's Homer a C-, Hobbes a B-. 1c says "adaptation," so I am assuming it is LZ himself? I gave it an A.

2

I guessed 2a to be the same as 1c: it was: Mr. Adaptation, to whom I gave a B+ this time. 2b I guessed Dryden or Pope (it was Pope, to whom I gave an A). I gave an A- to W.C. Bryant for 2c. I guessed early twentieth-century and the year was 1871.

3

I said 3a was Drydenesque (it was Dryden). I gave it an A-, which I won't retract. I gave an A to Golding's 14er version of same passage from Ovid (I failed to name Ovid as original poet.)

4

I gave split grades to Golding here: A+ and B- for two passages from the same poem. I failed to recognize any similarity (aside from the being the same meter and same general period).

5

On A I failed to recognize Catullus, guessing Martial instead. The translation was by F. W. Cornish, to whom I assined a C+. I gave Thomas Hood a D-.

6

I gave Gavin Douglas an A for a sixteenth century translation of Virgil. I failed to recognize Virgil under the dialect. I correctly recognized Shakspeare for the "Tempest" (duh) and gave him an A+. So far I'm not deeply embarrased by my performance.

7

I gave Herrick a B and misplace the poem by about 240 years (oops). I gave Marlowe a B for a poem I also misplaced by more than a century. I stand by these grades, though.

8

I gave mostly high grades to these anonymous lyrics. The third is a attributed to someone, and earned a slightly lower mark.

9

I gave a B- to Swinburne's translation of Villon. That's about right. My C+ to Chaucer? I would contend that this is not very interesting poetry, given that it is in fact by Chaucer. For him, it is more like a D.

No hay comentarios: