7 ago 2003

On the jazz radio station: a version of Clifford Brown's "Joy Spring." It happens to be one of my favorite tunes, so I listen closely. The rhythm section sounds a little stiff, but that's ok, because the trumpet player has a nice warm, dark tone, not dissimilar to Clifford's. So he starts his solo, and . . . it's a note for note reproduction of Clifford's Brown's solo! I could have sung along if I hadn't been so shocked. It turned out it was Arturo Sandoval, and the name of the album implies that he is paying tribute to all the classic trumpet players. I'd hate to hear him try to play a Miles Davis solo note for note. Why not just go back to listen to the originals? I listen to that Clifford Brown solo everyday on my computer.

***

The crossword clue it took me all day to get: "Isn't just theoretical" -- and the answer is supposed to be "exists." I guess I just don't think of theory as something non-existent.

No hay comentarios: