7 mar 2003

Yépez's range of reading is really quite extraordinary. My students, white kids from middle-class backgrounds, barely possess any cultural capital. They haven't read anything. Yépez started out as a grafitti artist. He doesn't have a privileged background in the least.

I'm embarrassed reading Yépez's book of essays that I know so little about Armand Schwerner. I spend three hours reading it while proctoring the Master's Examination. There is some great, violent invective against the posthumous publication of the books of Borges that Borges himself would have wanted to suppress. My only complaint is that he overuses the word "importante." He has a wonderful style in Spanish, drawing on every register from the colloquial to the literary. He doesn't need to fall back on weak words like this.

No hay comentarios: