18 ene 2003

Number six on my saxophone list is Sonny Rollins. How could he be so low, being so extraordinary a player? One of the great improvisers. His recording are uneven; he plays better live (I have seen him twice). The great horizontal player, logically developing motifs with incredible inventiveness. Why does he play with electric bass? To me it doesn't do the same thing for me as the upright. Saxophone Colossus is perhaps his best known record. And those trios with Wilbur Ware and Elvin, before Elvin played with Coltrane. Also check out Rollins with Monk.

Number 5 will be Lester Young. Then Coleman Hawkins 4. Should I have put Young ahead of Hawkins? I'll have to think about it. After reading Notley's Disobedience I told myself last night to have vivid dreams. It worked: I flew to Greenland on a plane that had its own runway attached to it, in search of hardware parts to hang pictures on the wall. Tonight I will dream of Prez and Bean.

No hay comentarios: