9 dic 2002

Ron Silliman asks, today, why J. Moxley is appreciated despite apparent lack of postmodern irony, by the same crowd who touts Stroffolino (as I do). Maybe the obvious answer is that she is squarely within that post-Ashbery, Susan Schultz/Stroffolino tradition. What Ron reads "straight" I read as a sort of finely-tuned dead-pan. Take the line "All this in route to a two-car garage," coming after a series of deliberately overwrought lines about death and angst. Pure Ashbery. When someone like this over-writes, it is part of an elaborate put-on. Or maybe I'm missing something here? Would I reject this "fine writing" if I thought it meant seriously? I don't mean it's a total parody, but that it is "beautiful" writing in the same way late Ashbery is beautiful.

***

Why I dropped out of the poetics list: relentless clutter, personal attacks among people I don't know or care about, defenses of the Taliban by someone from New Zealand. I tried to rejoin the list just to publicize my blog, but was unsuccessful. I joined originally to hear opinions from poets I respected. The blog is a far superior form. And I don't need to read it to discover Bush is an idiot. The problem, precisely, is that he is extremely savvy and the Left underestimates his political adeptness. Kind of like Reagan!

No hay comentarios: