16 dic 2002

An email this morning from my Argentine correspondent Laura Scarano. We take opposite sides in the debate over "realism" in Spanish poetry of the 1980s and 90s. She defends it, I attack it. As scholars we are somewhat above the fray, she much more than I, I'm afraid. I tend to react emotionally, get myself worked up into a fervor. I love controversy.

***

I was never too interested in chance generated works. Randomness is a human invention. There is no perfect pair of dice or computer in nature to generate truly random numbers. Thus there is no getting around the intentionality of the poet. I like the Cage of "How to improve the world (you'll only make things worse)" more than the Cage of the mesostics.

***

Who is Arthur Sze? I read a poem by him in Conjunctions that knocked the breath out of me.

No hay comentarios: