8 oct 2003

I.17a "Great negative! how vainly would the wise"

I'm guessing this is by someone else who shares my first name. We should be in the 18th century by now; the satirical wit, the misanthropy, are prominent:

"French truth, Dutch prowess, British policy
Hibernian learning, Scotch civility,
Spaniards' dispatch, Danes' wit, are mainly seen in thee."

(i.e., in nothingness: these things don't exist). Grade: A

17b "The Grape that can with Logic absolute"

A section of Edward Fitzgerald's translation of the Rubiaat of Omar Kahyam? (I can't spell either one, obviously) A less cycnical, lighter treatment of the Swiftian theme of nothingness. B+

17c "And God-appointed Berkeley that proved all things a dream"

The phrase "This pragmatical preposterous pig of a world" makes me think of D.H. Lawrence. If it isn't him, I haven't got a clue. Whowever wrote this, it is quite effective. A-

No hay comentarios: