30 sept 2011

Mtheny / Grenadier

I saw guitar demi-god Pat Metheny play with bassist Larry Grenadier last night at Liberty Hall here in Lawrence. He played a lot of guitar on several separate guitars, including a technologically advanced one with many bells and whistles that allowed him a great number of special effects, and a semi-acoustic-looking one that let him play a gentle flamenco-like song. They played several tunes I recognized from some of the trio albums in which Metheny and Grenadier played with drummer Bill Stewart.

The last time I saw PM he was in a trio format with Antonio Sánchez, I think, in the same hall. Curiously, I didn't miss having a drummer in this case. I have never seen Grenadier in person so this was a good experience for me.

4 comentarios:

Andrew Shields dijo...

Larry and Pat as a duo, fabulous! I saw them with Stewart about ten years ago, and I saw Larry again this spring, with Jason Moran, Chris Potter, and Eric Harland. A brilliant show in Basel. Larry did an email interview with me about it afterwards.

I first saw Larry in SF with Joe Henderson in the 80s, when Larry was still in high school, once in a trio and once in a duo. And then I saw him with Tom Harrell in 1996, and I've seen him four or five times with Brad Mehldau. A wonderful player! And a Stanford English grad!

Andrew Shields dijo...

The interview:

http://andrewjshields.blogspot.com/2011/06/interview-with-larry-grenadier.html

Jonathan dijo...

Cool. Last time I saw PM he was playing with Christian McBride. I thought Grenadier was less ostentatious and more supportive.

John dijo...

Metheny. Meth, not math.

Enyway . . .