3 ago 2011

El secreto de sus ojos

This 2009 Argentine film by Juan José Campanella, which one an Academy Award, features a police detective, Espósito, around the time of the Argentine dirty war. He arrests a rapist and killer, but this man gets released early from prison because he is also an informer useful in the rightwing repression of subversives. Espósito is in love with his boss, Irene, a Cornell-educated judge from a higher social rank, who marries an engineer while half in love with Espósito himself. The movie goes back and forth between the present, when the retired Espósito is writing a novel about his case, and the past, when the events were going on.

It is an excellent movie with maybe one or two extra plot twists too many at the end.

9 comentarios:

Spanish prof dijo...

I think the technical aspects of the movie are excellent, but as an Argentinean, I found the ending disgusting (from a moral and political point of view). But I won't go further into details here, because readers may want to see the movie.

Jonathan dijo...

I, not from Argentina, was disgusted by the ending too, but like you didn't want to give it away as a "spoiler."

Spanish prof dijo...

I think we are on the same page. But I've had to explain why I thought so to a lot of people.

Thomas dijo...

Isn't the film old enough not to worry about spoiling it? Can't we just announce a SPOILER ALLERT now, and get on with it? I remember liking the whole thing except that there was something oddly television-like about the scenes out in the shed.

I'd love to hear why an Argentinean would find the ending "disgusting". I don't dispute anyone's right to feel that way, of course, I just know that I didn't feel any disgust at any point. I'm not Argentinean and don't know very much about the political situation of that period.

Clarissa dijo...

OK, now I really want to see the movie.

Jonathan dijo...

You should see it to make up your own mind about it.

Spanish prof dijo...

@Thomas: Is there any address where I can email you with my reasons? I would hate to spoil it for the rest, but I'd love to explain you why I hated the ending so much.

Thomas dijo...

tb dot lpf
at
cbs dot dk

Spanish prof dijo...

I just published a post in my blog about it.