7 mar 2009

(48)

*Calvino. Se una notte d'inverno un viaggiatore. 1979. 263 pp.

I finally got through this in the original. My reading of Bolaño and Coolidge kept me from it for a while. It seems very much of its time, with reader-response criticism sweeping through American universities at around the same time.

If you haven't read it I suggest you do. (In whatever language you want.) It is really the compleat treatise on the act of reading in relation to every kind of social institution that impacts on it. Publication, translation, scholarship, literary theory, censorship, politics.

On this reading I enjoyed the 10 first chapters of novels more than the in-between chapter that Calvino uses to get from one to the next. That interstitial material seemed too cute in some ways.

No hay comentarios: