19 feb 2008

I will now blog without using a common graphic mark. (Hint: fifth in a row.) Wriiting without that sign won't work for long, probably. Doing without grammar parts (nouns say) is difficult. Doing without this visual sign is awkward and not particularly illuminating. Try doing it for six thousands words at a pop, as a task in a composition class. Good luck with that! Try for it not to sound awkward, with a smooth quality all its own, not just as a stunt for a blog post. As I thought, you can't do it. Hah!

6 comentarios:

jw dijo...

You have me at a loss, sir. I had guessed that you were avoiding the fifth letter of the alphabet, but alas, it shows up in the fifth sentence ("assignment"). Now I wonder: did you slip, or have I not guessed the secret?

Herb Levy dijo...

try changing that to ""assign it in a ..."

Harry M was using a thumb tack to avoid it. You could just try using a PC or Mac program to look for such marks. Not as painful.

HL

Jonathan dijo...

It's all right now. But you also must avoid it in pointing that out...

John dijo...

I don't know if I can do it or not. I'll watch out for it. It's tricky! But not as hard as you might think. Synonyms abound in our Anglophonic thang. Formal writing in this way might push a limit. Which limit, you might ask? I don't know and probably couldn't say if I did. Using short words might show a way to go about it. But it's still a little hard. Long ago, I would go down to a fruit stand to shop for my companion. The fruit man (or woman) would occasionally stop working to chat. Good gabbing about fruits and world politics would follow. I dig a good round of gossip too.

Thanks for this.

Jonathan dijo...

Good job, John. Thank you. Avoiding pronouns (you know which I'm talking about) is hard. And common words to start off thoughts.

michael dijo...

i did that for a bit on my blog. i finally got so i could fashion fairly good songs, but it was hard to put across my thoughts, or to try rigorous portrayal of any sort.

m.