23 may 2005

Expect, very soon, a self-published book entitled Fox of Gold,written and illustrated by a family member.

***

What is the editorial policy of the Hat anyway? Although I came close to stating it, according to one of its editors, I still don't know what it is. As far as I can tell, it's to make me a very happy person. Have I found poems I didn't like within its pages? Yes, but very few so far and those hardly worth mentioning. I can't read it it cover to cover anyway. I just browse randomly, frequently, and happily. More poems I've found (that I do like): Friedlander, "Museum," Rod Smith, "Ordinance Disposal Satellite." There is a dominant tone here, which John Latta astutely identified a few days ago. There is also a good deal of tonal variation. Coming upon Henry Gould's poem, I think: "yes poetry can still do that too."

3 comentarios:

Henry Gould dijo...

Enjoying all the attention here.

I did think my excerpt in Hat #6 sounded a little different than the general "tone" noted. There is indeed something in the NY School which evokes direct speech, conversation; my poem doesn't have that, it's more scripted, more like a "language poem" (haha). & it's also "about" making marks on paper.

The opening personal anecdote (the autobiographical reference) kind of tricks the reader into going into this "textual" aspect. But the picture, of course, shows a pair of seeming-twins, WRITING. A sketch of sketchers.

Poem as maternity, (im)maculate conception, springtime : a kind of moebius strip. Nada's adjacent poem (about the infant) & Mark Halliday's on the other side (about the mysterious pony) felt like funny parodies or riffs on my imagery.

forgive the ramble, please!

Jonathan dijo...

__

It's forgiven. I liked Nada's poems as well. An interesting juxtaposition. Haven't gotten to the Halliday yet.

Henry Gould dijo...

I really enjoyed her poems too!
& Mark's. Have to go back & try to pick my top favorites.