4 ene 2005

On the other hand I'm shocked when someone confesses that they can't get through a page of Lezama Lima. Some difficulty really is worthwhile.

***

I'm of two minds about Sze, which I'll get into maybe tomorrow.

***

I found this amazing poem on my hard disk--it wasn't by me, I was sure of that. Not only did I not remember writing it, but it is not my style, and is far superior to any of my work anyway. My first thought was that someone had somehow secretly put the poem on my computer. After a few moments I realized that I had transcribed it from an audio recording by Barbara Guest. It's from her forthcoming book:

Closing up shop is what happens in Milan and places older

Who is protecting us, we
who were noticed by the emperor
cruising in his vessel?

Remember navigators tasting
lemons from the trees'
other birthplace

Do we know how they felt
born under different signs?

Silent are the honeys
in velvet cups.

No hay comentarios: