23 ene 2005

If five people email me and tell me I am right about Swensen, does that mean I am right, or that all seven of us are wrong? I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. [Gary at DagZine is also included in the tally]

***

I have realized that my point a few weeks ago about perception and judgment was at least partially wrong. Aesthetic perception always has an element of judgment inherent in it. I can't perceive anything aesthetically without some kind of response, good, bad, or indifferent. Perception without judgment is dull. (Or was I correct before? A lot of people agreed with me or thought it was a valid point.) You look at a Rothko painting and it hits you, it moves you. You don't sit there describing it for an hour before you decide whether you like it.

No hay comentarios: