10 dic 2004

Dear New York Times Ethicist:

I had this dream: I was in a used-bookstore and found a copy of a novel by David Shapiro, with some water damage, for $10. It was printed in a large, sans-serif type-face. I wanted to browse some more, but I kept wandering out of the store by mistake: the store was in a sort of mall/student union type building and it wasn't clear where the bookstore ended and the expresso bar and other shops began. I re-entered the bookstore several times with the book under my arm. The employees were strangely indulgent. The last time, I wandered out of the store with the book and woke up, realizing with relief that I wouldn't have to return the book because it had all been a dream. Did I do the right thing, or should I have tried to fall back asleep so that I could return the book to the store?

--Confused in Kansas

Dear CIK:

Since the book was damaged, and David Shapiro has written no novels to date, and it was all a dream anyway, you are not guilty of theft. However, you did evade your ethical obligation by not bringing this priceless book back to the waking world. You must purchase the book in your next dream and bring it back when you wake up.

No hay comentarios: