22 sept 2004

I normally don't do a lot of political commentary here. Others do it much better than I could, especially the brilliant UT Law/Philosophy Professor Brian Leiter: The Leiter Reports: Editorials, News, Updates: More steps down the road to fascism: Legitimizing "Preventive Detention."

I am concerned about the revisionist history that says that the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII was a good idea. I grew up in California with Asian Americans. I am husband and father, son-in-law and brother-in-law of Japanese and Japanese-Americans, although my wife's family came to the US in the 60s. I remember the racism of my paternal Grandmother. Even apart from my personal connection to this issue, I feel strongly about it. Obviously the agenda of these folks slightly to the right of Attila the Hun is to justify the internment of other ethnic groups now and in the future. Maybe it's the Arabs now, but twenty years from now it could be any other group. Chileans? Russians? Tibetans? Filipinos? Nigerians? Jews? It could be YOU.

I know what you're thinking. This is paranoid. It couldn't possibly happen in America. Well, it happened before, it's happening now (concentration camps in Guantánamo, etc...), and it could happen in the future.

No hay comentarios: