22 may 2004

Philip "The Jury's Still Out On" Metres suggested that this would be a good title for a poem. I hope he writes one too, although he has the disadvantage of not being named "Jonathan Mayhew." ("Metres" is a great name for a poet, though.)

A DISCOURSE CONCERNING UNLIMITED SUBMISSION AND NON-RESISTANCE TO THE HIGHER POWERS


The people at the Chinese restaurant touch my back and shoulders after seating me; I must eat there a lot.

I am myself because my little dog knows me; but I do not have a little dog.

I am not the Jonathan Mayhew who wrote "A Discourse Concerning Unlimited Submission and Non-Resistance to the Higher Powers."

Yet this statement is no longer true; now I have in fact written "A Discourse Concerning Unlimited Submission and Non-Resistance to the Higher Powers"; I am part-way through it at least!

Twenty years from now, I can write, "I remember when I wrote 'A Discourse Concerning Unlimited Submission and Non-Resistance to the Higher Powers";

my wife was in Madrid for the marriage of Prince Philip and Letizia."

Who was it that distinguished between "the author of Waverly" and "Sir Walter Scott"? Bertrand Russell, maybe?

Can we now tell the difference between "Jonathan Mayhew" and "the author of 'A Discourse Concerning Unlimited Submission and Non-Resistance to the Higher Powers'"?

Can the proposition "Jonathan Mayhew did not write 'A Discourse Concerning Unlimited Submission and Non-Resistance to the Higher Powers' be proven true or false?

What does it all mean anyway?


No hay comentarios: