21 mar 2004

Mike Snider's Formal Blog and Sonnetarium: "Jonathan reads watching to see how the poet can possibly get to the end of the line without breaking the meter, pouncing on imagined solecisms"

Ouch, that hurt. The problem is that I know when the writer did something for the sake of the meter. I can just tell, because of that forced "feel." I would say it is because I am a better reader of formal verse, not a worse one, because I notice things that others might not hear. (I could prove it too, by doing a full scale examination of a Frost sonnet, for example.) It is because I read contemporary metrical verse in the same way as I might read Frost that I find the former lacking, most of the time, not because I refuse to credit any sonnet written after an arbitrary date.

No hay comentarios: