21 mar 2003

My daughter, in her "Argument of the Book" poem, wrote, "I've written short poems like the frog jumped in the sound of the water," among other things. She always wants me to check bstats to see how many people have read the blog.

***

Salvageable Materials



The device was layed bare, trembling in the breeze,

a transformation begun with surprising forcefulness and tact.

My worst ideas are better than your best ideas.



Well that was sure embarrassing,

but only for the people involved.

Importunating someone used to be my biggest fear.




Salvageable materials means just what you think it means.

What did you think it meant?


This poem was written by filling a page with clotted prose, written very fast, and then erasing everything that had no value. I then added the title, "salvageable materials." I think the word is really "importune" not "importunate," but I liked my spontaneous coinage so I kept it. Importuning someone is one thing, IMPORTUNATING someone is something else again, and is still one of my biggest fears.

No hay comentarios: