8 feb 2003

I dropped Julia off at COCA for her acting class and walked down Delmar to Subterranean Books. It wasn't too cold--perfect walking weather. I hadn't been in there since it changed ownership. They had jazz playing--Sonny Rollins "Striver's Row," then Art Blakey's "Blues March." William Gass was browsing beside me. I didn't speak to him because I've never been introduced. I bought a translation of Roussel by various hands: Ashbery, Melville, and Mathews; Michael Brownstein's "Oracle Night" (I never knew Sun &Moon was in College Park MD in the early 80s!); an homage to Berrigan long out of print, edited by Anne Waldman. I complimented the new owner on her wonderful store and walked back to pick my daughter up again. It was one of those rare moments when the "happiness base" and the "poetry base" come together. Three new books for my New York School Poetry collection.

No hay comentarios: