30 dic 2002

This blog had made Silliman's list of 11 or 12 blogs he visits at list weekly. Maybe some of his 10,000 visitors will come this way. I'm up to 500, having started counting only toward the beginning of December. Extrapolating, I've probably had almost 2,000 in four months.

***
My four favorite Kenneth Koch books represent four completely different modes of writing.

"Thank You and Other Poems"
"1001 Avant Garde Plays"
"The Art of Love"
"Hotel Lambosa"

There are several more modes/styles worthy of mention. Examples might be

"Ko" (mock epic)
"Wishes Lies and Dreams" (poetic pedagogy)
"When the Sun Tries to Go On" (Cornball Surrealism).
"Impressions of Africa" (travelogue)
"The Red Robins" (novel?)

These modes or genres overlap to some extent, but even so there is a tremendous variety here. The "Selected Poems" I have in my possession only includes poems from the actual books of poetry (no "Dulications" or "Ko" or "When the Sun"), and thus presents a very narrow selection of Koch's writing. Koch is not considered a major force outside New York School circles. He appears to lack gravitas. Yet as this list of works makes clear, he was definitely a heavy hitter. I am only now making my way through some of his later collections.

No hay comentarios: