13 ene 2005

I can make the most outrageous statement that I only half believe, and Kasey will carefully prove that I'm right with a patience I cannot muster. I could teach a chimpanzee to understand Bruce Andrews' poetry, which is not difficult in the least once you shed a few prejudices. You don't need to read huge tomes of Language Poetry Theory to see what he's doing. The chimpanzee might have more trouble with Shelley. Sure, it's soothing and familiar sounding, so he would say, "that's nice, I like it," without really understanding a word. There is such a thing as being a more schooled reader; the least someone knows about any art form the more conservative and conventional their taste will be. Why is that schlocky Christian painter whose name escapes me so popular? Familiarity is very soothing, but I imagine that Andrews, the last thing he wants to do is soothe his audience.

No hay comentarios: