28 abr 2004

I could do close readings of individual poems on my blog too. If I've avoided that, it might have something to do with the notion that this is considered by many to be a fairly routine skill. For example, when reviewing a book, I'll often say that the close readings are ok, but that the book is deficient in other ways--even when I believe that the close readings are not particularly good at all. It's almost as though I were considering this to be a lower level skill, something anyone should be able to do just to merit inclusion in the conversation. Actually, I believe it is a capability that needs to be more highly valued. But in that case, I would no longer make routinized concessions that, yes, a critic has the competence to point out certain obvious things about the text. Deep analysis rather than close analysis.

No hay comentarios: